Tuesday 21 October 2014

ZFP Challenge: No. 1

Photo courtesy of  stockimages / freedigitalphotos.net
At the beginning of 2013, rather than making a new year’s resolution, I set myself several challenges which I aimed to achieve.  One challenge was to chat up a guy and get his number.  This might sound a little odd because in networking situations I'm able to walk up to any guy, talk to him and get his number, albeit his work number on a business card.  However, put me into any other situation… and I just can’t.

A few weeks ago I met up with a friend for a few after work drinks in Soho.  She is single by choice, despite the constant attention she receives.  She is one of the most outgoing people I know, living life without fear of what other people think.

As I sipped an espresso martini, she and I talked with live music playing in the background, when a group of guys sat on the sofa next to us.  As groups of guys go, they were all very good looking.  In such situations, I keep myself to myself and don’t make the first move, even when I'm drunk.  My friend is the opposite: unafraid to make eye contact, thinking ahead to find an excuse to talk to them.  She is a flirt; and a very good one!
Photo courtesy of  stockimages / freedigitalphotos.net

True to form, my friend found a way to talk to the guys and managed to get one of them to dance with me.  Needless to say, it was great!  What woman doesn't like to be spun around a dance floor by a good looking man, who smelled amazing, and is strong enough to pick you up?  I slightly swooned.

How did it end?  He left with his friends, with only an awkward goodbye.  I didn't even ask him his name and he didn't ask for mine.  This is always somewhat of a surprise – my unwillingness to take chances, make my own luck and also my fear of rejection.

Photo courtesy of  stockimages / freedigitalphotos.net
This got me thinking.  I never accomplished my goal of 2013 to talk to a guy.  I'm going to challenge myself to do it again.  And going forward, I will set further challenges for myself.  Call it research for The ZFP.

I'm due to see my friend again this coming week.  It's an opportunity to consider a different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment