Sunday 10 August 2014

Online Dating Fail: Unreasonable Expectations

Being somewhat married to my job for the past 4 weeks has hindered not only my social life, but my dating prowess.  So I was pleased when I managed to secure my 44th first date (41st courtesy of Match.com) after a week of corresponding with Mr Watch.

Online dating whilst being married to the job
Image courtesy of marcolm / freedigitalphotos.net
Mr Watch wasn't my usual type, however friends had been telling me to consider guys who I wouldn't usually.  Given Mr Watch and I had things in common and had been corresponding for over a week, I thought it a good idea to be open minded.

The date itself went well, although he seemed a little distracted by his phones at times.  Within the first hour of us meeting, he took a business call.  He also talked about work and his money far more than I was comfortable with.

Despite having a pleasant time, I left the date a little unsure.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was just nervous and that there was a language barrier (he wasn't a native English speaker).  I did like him, so I wanted to see him again to establish whether there was something worth pursuing.

The next day, I woke up feeling exhausted, with my contact lenses still in (again).  I had also left my Match.com account logged in on my laptop overnight.  I saw I had a message on my phone from Mr Watch: he was seeing family.  Knowing he was busy, I sent a brief response and thought nothing more of it – I didn't want to disturb him.  I spent the rest of my day napping, doing laundry, catching up on admin, and writing last week’s blog post, The Male Freak Out Phase: Coping Mantra

That evening when I checked my Match.com account, I saw that Mr Watch had sent me a message asking me how I was enjoying Match.com.  I found it strange, since we had started to message by phone.  I replied by phone asking what he meant, despite sensing he was annoyed at me.  His response: he found me disappointing (!) because I was constantly online.  He said it wasn't like I had a busy day (!) so didn't know why I was so quiet and didn't message him more throughout the day.  Moreover, he found it surprising that I was still on Match.com, i.e. I still had an active profile and was logged in, when we had a good date the night before and we had agreed to a second date.

Seriously, after ONE DATE?!

I appreciate that he could feel a little upset by seeing my profile still active.  But there is a reasonable way of going about expressing yourself… he was not doing that…

… I had to take a few deep breaths…

It had been one date.  ONE DATE!

It had been a pleasant date, and I had agreed to see him again, but we were dating – not in a relationship!  His expectations of me were, I felt, unreasonable after just one date. 

Furthermore, we hadn't discussed coming off Match.com (not that I would have agreed anyway when I wasn't 100% sure about him AND it had only been ONE DATE).  Although he did not make demands for me to do what he expected, rather to just realise and know what to do, I felt the situation and his behaviour was made even more unreasonable.

I explained to him that for the time being, while we weren't in a relationship, if he wanted to date other women, that was fine.  This was the nature of online dating, and we didn't have agreed exclusivity.  I made myself clear that he can’t expect me to come off Match.com when we hadn't even discussed it!

I find it off putting when a guy complains that I do not message enough and can’t appreciate that I need downtime on my own.  More off putting is a guy who expects me to know what he thinks.

I have pretty good female intuition, but I've yet to develop my psychic powers.  As soon as I do, sod dating – I'm becoming a superhero!

What surprised me the most was his petulant attitude and response.  There was no mature discussion, just a strop and lashing out.  I don’t expect nor can I tolerate that from a grown man. 

After his strop, he told me he couldn't talk to me because he was busy.  This was feeling like a personal attack, despite it being my actions which he was disappointed in.

Unfortunately, the story doesn't end there!

Seriously, what the hell, Mr Watch?
Image courtesy of marcolm / freedigitalphotos.net
At midnight he messaged me again on Match.com while I was turning my laptop off and getting ready for bed.  This time he insinuated that my approach to dating was just to use men and to get laid, and that I wasn't really looking for a relationship!

I had work the next morning and needed to sleep.  I didn't have time to deal with this.

Shortly afterwards I saw I had a missed call from him too.  I knew at this point I needed to nip it in the bud.  I responded by message, saying that I thought we were too different as people to continue dating.  He responded that it was a shame; he liked me and he was planning on taking me to an amazing restaurant which I would have loved.  But we had discussed this enough already.  I agreed that it was a shame because I did like him, but as with dating, sometimes it just didn't work.

AND THEN… he called me again… to discuss everything we had already discussed in our messages!

He questioned what I was looking for; forcing his opinion on me that I was going about things the wrong way and I would never find anyone decent.  He kept repeating everything.  Despite me saying I wasn't psychic and didn't know what he wanted, he stated it was common sense and I should have known!

When he insinuated again that I was wrong and just used men, I lost all patience with him.  I said my piece, told him I had no more time for him if he had nothing new to say, then ended the call.

It did occur to me that maybe I was being a bitch, but when I spoke to friends, both male and female, they were surprised that I was as patient as I was with him.  They think his response was over the top and inappropriately possessive.  They thought I would have cut ties with him the moment he got arsey and possessive, knowing that I don’t tolerate unreasonable behaviour.  I feel I often give the impression of being unforgiving and harsh, but do actually give people the benefit of the doubt and I certainly try to be as open minded as possible.

Too tired to deal with his drama
Image courtesy of marcolm / freedigitalphotos.net
There are constructive and non-confrontational ways of expressing yourself if you’re unhappy about someone’s behaviour; his wasn't the right way.  His behaviour didn't make me feel like I wanted to be with him.  I don’t feel it’s justifiable to throw a strop at someone after one date for still having an active online dating profile, especially without discussing taking the profiles down.  And it wasn't like he had taken his profile down either!  It was a little creepy that he was stalking my online presence and then commented on it.

So, the message from this is: guys – don’t go weird on a woman after one date.  This applies to women too.  It’s just not helpful and you can pretty much kiss goodbye to your chance of a second date.

No comments:

Post a Comment